Enhanced data can be carried within payment messages for all payment types made via payment service providers (PSPs) using New Payments Architecture (NPA) to payers and payees.
Figure 1 below illustrates one of the potential data flows at a high level for a single credit transfer:
- The payer initiates a payment and includes Enhanced data related to the payment (this could be a personalised message, details of a business transaction in designated fields, a link to an image, invoice, bill etc.)
- Image or document to be sent with the payment is sent to the Repository Provider (Pay.UK Accredited Organisation)
- Repository Provider stores the image/document and provides a URL.
- Enhanced data is carried within the payment instruction without truncation, through to the payee
- Payer’s PSP sends the payment instruction with Enhanced data across to the NPA
- NPA carries out the clearing and settlement and sends the payment instruction to the payee’s PSP
- Payee’s PSP makes the payment details, enriched reference and business transaction details available to the payee
- Payee receives additional information and retrieves the image via a URL. This additional information enables the payee to reconcile the payment
- Retrieval Provider (Pay.UK Accredited Organisation) makes a request to directory services. Once the request is authenticated and authorised, image/document is returned as a response to the payee. This activity can also sit under a PSP
- Directory Services authenticates and authorises a retrieval request and provides a look-up service to identify the Repository Provider.