Sort codes for use outside of UK
Payment service providers (PSPs) which require a GB IBAN (International Bank Account Number), but have no need to offer payments to their customers via the UK payment systems, can either:
- Approach a direct participant of one of the payment systems to request a sort code
- Contact the Pay.UK team to request a non-standard sort code(s).
The following institution types are eligible to obtain a non-standard sort code for use with an IBAN:
- Authorised payment institutions
- Small payment institutions
- European Economic Area (EEA) authorised payment institutions
- Credit institutions
- Electronic money institutions
- The Post Office Limited
- The Bank of England, the European Central Bank and the national central banks of EEA states other than the United Kingdom
- Government departments and local authorities.
If a non-standard sort code is required to provide Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) payment services to UK customers, PSPs must also comply with the SEPA regulation and register as a UK SEPA adherent. In addition, a PSP may also need to participate in the SEPA IBAN-Only Directory to help meet their UK reachability requirements.
To apply for a non-standard sort code, please complete the questionnaire below and send to the Pay.UK team at ReferenceData@wearepay.uk.